Thursday, October 27, 2011

The unromantic truth about travel

Another hectic week has all but passed me by. I returned home on Monday to fulfill a work commitment at Atlanta's MedTrade, (leaving Will and Baxter alone in Arkansas) and tomorrow I will spend the majority of my day in various airports, awaiting the connecting flights that will eventually take me back to Little Rock, Arkansas.  This weekend will be the final breadth of our month long journey and honestly, it has not come soon enough! 

I'm feeling utterly exhausted, listening to Michael Buble's Home and thinking that travel can become somewhat of a deception.  It truly sounds enticing, glamorous even; but it's definitely not all champagne, limos, 5 star hotels, adventure and excitement. The reality is that simply driving, sitting in the passenger’s seat, or flying can be exhausting, and even if excitement is present - it's that very excitement that makes you weary by the end of the day. It's a strange phenomenon that the human brain can only take so much excitement before it turns into irrational irritation or utter exhaustion.

I know that I am blessed and I am eternally grateful for the sights I've seen, people and opportunities I've encountered and experiences I've had; but honestly, being out on the open road or jet setting is hard, frustrating business!

Some of the major things that make travelling so frustrating are:

Airport security.  I have to mention them first because, let's face it, none of us can stand them.  They are probably the kids that got pushed around in school, or the adults that get pushed around at home: and desperately need to assert their authority in some way.  These airport security officers are often unreasonable, pushy and just plain mean.  (Can you tell I'm not looking forward to our encounter tomorrow?)

Another frustration is modern technology that we have come to rely upon like oxygen, in order to get by! A faulty GPS that can get you lost, or a mobile phone with a dying battery that can lead to all sorts of grief!

Next on the frustration meter are the hotels; as annoying as it is when you can't even a 3 star hotel, what's worse are those hotels claiming to be star rated, but look as if they are ran by the caravan-park association of No Standardsville. There's nothing worse than stained towels or dirty bed sheets! Those horrible goose bumps that rise and the immediate discomfort that spreads from the pit of your stomach to the roots of your hair! I would (and have) sooner sleep in my car than a dirty hotel!

The final thing I find extremely frustrating about travelling, are the unhelpful people in service jobs! Universal dictionaries define service as the act of helping or working for somebody - yet, more often than not, there is an attitude from these people who are (willingly) employed in the industry! This attitude pushes me to breaking point when I am either hungry, lost, feeling unwell, simply exhausted (or all of the above!) and just need some help from a decent human being that understands.

I've had moments where I've literally wanted to stomp my feet and cry because of the sheer number of events that have consecutively gone wrong! Sure, you might think the rewards of travel are greater than the off chance of incurring a problem or two; but really, that is being naiive. When you have been en-route from place and sight to place and sight for two or more weeks: your weariness, sleep deprivation and intolerance all set in, until you no longer care for the mountains, wildlife, cuisine or any form of sightseeing.  That's usually when I find myself envisioning my own bed, or a home cooked meal, until a beckoning melody of home begins play louder and louder in my head with every gas station I stop at, or every airport I am cursed with.

It's interesting (and Michael Buble' will concur): no matter your age, everyone sets out on a trip all fresh faced and wide eyed - but soon yearn for home like nothing they've ever craved before.

1 comment:

  1. And you just want to click those sparkly red heels together and whisper to the Universe 'There's no place like Home'and find yourself back on your own couch with a cup of tea in your hand and someone you love nearby.
    The words of this gorgeous song would touch a chord within every traveller, I think.
    Nicely written Miss Lena.

    ReplyDelete