Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Road trip, day 9: Abilene Texas

Will and I left Synder on Monday, almost as soon as I'd finished my blog entry about it, and drove to Abilene where we spent the night.  We set off again (for Dallas) shortly after breakfast on Tuesday morning; but not before I'd convinced Will to stop at Frontier Texas: an incredibly high-tech exhibit depicting the early history of Texas.

I learnt a lot of valuable information, but more importantly I left truly wowed by this one-of-a-kind virtual tour; where surround-sound and motion-activated plasma screen tour guides followed me from room to room and told me "their stories" from the past.  It was neat to be able to touch genuine Indian artifacts, buffalo furs and skins, ancient leather and other relics; and so easy to retain information through this new form of exhibition.     

Every side is represented; from Texas's native Indian colonies and early European settlement to the devastating conflicts and consequences this merged lifestyle caused both sides to incur.  Another group to suffer almost to the brink of extinction was the buffalo; upon whom the Indians almost solely relied upon for their longevity.  Once the buffalo were eradicated - it wasn't long before the Indian way of life tragically followed suit.

I recommend this Frontier experience in Abilene to anyone wishing to visit Texas.  It's a key step in understanding the state's pride and culture - which is often perceived as boastful by the other states.

The "tour guide" (projection) beckons
to be followed upon arrival

An Indian chief tells of his
people and customs


No comments:

Post a Comment