Friday, November 11, 2011

Baby, it's cold outside

Daylight savings has ended making the days very short.  It's dark by 6pm and although the first official day of winter is December 22nd, it feels like the season has well and truly arrived.  The blistering chills have blown in with the wind and are settling in rather early this year; which might mean another white Christmas, YAY. 

In the true American spirit, that burns with a desire to decorate everything in sight: Christmas is now visible all around.  Store windows adorn decorations or beautiful displays of cashmere scarves, mittens or beanies; street lamps wrapped in pine branches and red ribbon, while fairy lights are strewn through tree branches and rooftops. People on the streets walk faster, heaters are turned on in buildings, coat and hat racks are once again noticeable features within places we visit that didn't seem to have them before; and everyone in Midtown is wrapped up from head to toe,  even the pets. 

The cold is an interesting occurrence to describe to someone who's never experienced it before.  No body warned me, because my American family had all grown up in this climate and were accustomed to it; but I'll never forget my fear and surprise the first time my hands became swollen and numb!  Of course I thought it might mean frostbite or the end of me, and at once made it my objective to get my hands warm as quickly as possible!   As my hands begun to unthaw, it hurt so deep in my bones!  I couldn't move them freely and became even more frightened, like I'd left it too long and was doomed!  LOL.  On top of the pain, it felt a lot like I was wearing latex gloves full of water over my hands -  due to the swelling and squishy texture!

Then there was the first time the cold made my nose hurt far up inside of my brain; which of course I assumed meant something horrible too.  But I grew to love the cold last year, which was my first white Christmas.  I loved the feeling of the brisk wind against my cheeks while outside and the romantic feeling in the air when everything is sparkling white from the snow and gas lanterns.  Inside, there's nothing better than snuggles by the fire next to a live Christmas tree that makes the entire house smell like pine.


No comments:

Post a Comment