Friday, June 29, 2012

A night in a train station


With shifts covered and Baxter dropped off at Aunt Amy’s, last night Will and I arrived in Indianapolis, IN and had a great dinner with friends at a restaurant downtown called Palomino.  This is the first time I’ve gone anywhere without Baxter for a whole week so I was trying to enjoy my scallops and not look compulsively at my phone for updates or missed calls from Amy.  I was anxious about my boy not eating or sleeping and moping around looking for me; but once the text came through that he was having fun playing outside and has eaten well, I relaxed, had a mojito and became part of the lively conversation.

This morning my plan was to explore the city, but I only have two hours before Will gets back from his meeting and we need to drive on to the next place; so I’m staying put. Honestly, I am intrigued with our hotel and want to explore it more.

We are staying at the Crowne Plaza, an historic building transformed from a train station into a hotel that has retained its train station appearance and simply moulded rooms into the original design!  The platform is now carpeted and rooms are built around it, where the tracks should be; I’ve never seen anything like it!  To make it even better, part of the original train station remains next door to the hotel.  Downtown Indianapolis Union Station is literally separated from Crowne Plaza by a wall, so when a train goes by you can hear it and feel the ground rumble for an authentic I’m at a train station vibe.  Hopefully these pictures from the booked.net web page will describe things better than I can.  In the meantime, I’m off to take some of my own! 










1 comment: