Saturday, March 24, 2012

A day in the mountains of Georgia

About an hour from Atlanta is a beautiful place called Amicalola Park in the mountain range of Georgia.  It's the start of the Appalachian Trail (the mountain range that runs across almost all of America) and it’s where Will, Baxter and I spent all of today. 
We were each thrilled to be out of the city, completely undeterred by either the weather forecast proclaiming a 'chance' of afternoon rain;  or by the visible gray clouds in the sky.  It turned out that we were lucky to choose this particular day since the wildlife was unusually active - scurrying about in preparation for the rain, so that we caught a glimpse of much local wildlife.
Trail at the very top of the mountain
View from trail overlooking the falls

Local wildlife at the visitor centre: 
A real vulture called "Fabio" and his handler who was a little in too love with him!

A beautiful owl... I love owls, although I felt unnerved at his proximity and also at how he kept looking at my feathers.  "They aren't owl feathers I promise!! Please don't bite me!!"

A rattle snake, found everywhere in the mountains... if you look close you can see the rattle on it's tail.  (The photo's a bit off because I took it through glass) 

At the lookout
Wills' artistic talents caught this beautiful moth...

Good for novices like me to know!

Here we are at the base of the falls
Standing literally over the fall.
Up so so high, and this is how the entire walkway was made! 

The water tower back in town


No comments:

Post a Comment